Can you believe 2016 is coming to an end? As always, the months have gone by so quickly that I’m left trying to remember what I was doing at the beginning of the year. It’s true what they say; the older you get, the quicker time goes by! It’s been an eventful year to say the least, so I’ve done a quick recap of 2016 and I’ve shared below all it has taught me. The good and the bad!
1. You can’t please everyone and this is ok! No matter how hard you try, sometimes certain people just simply aren’t your people. It’s ok to move on from worrying about their opinions and progress with your own life. My biggest lesson this year was to not let my decisions and actions be affected by what others may think.
2. You need to speak up and not hide behind anything or anyone else. Unless you voice your opinions, your requests and communicate your reasoning, you won’t get what you want. It’s solely your responsibility!
3. Downtime is crucial I am that person who loves to feel productive and is always trying to squeeze as much into each day as possible. This is all well and good until you become run down and exhausted. We all need days off (I’m currently writing this in my pjs so clearly I’m taking my own advice here) I’ve now tried to adopt the 70 – 30 approach and not feel guilty when I have a lazy day.
4. Drinking water & using a good serum is the best thing for your skin! Everything else is a bonus, but if you neglect both of these, your skin will suffer.
5. Let everything go. I can honestly say there is not one person whom I hold any grudge against anymore, regardless of what has happened in the past. Turning the page on an old chapter is one of the best feelings in the world. Everyone makes mistakes, people change and if even if they don’t, what’s the point being mad? Life is far too short, so be kind to everyone, show compassion and don’t let anyone else stress you out. (I know I personally stress myself out enough without letting others do it haha!)
6. There’s always a way to better yourself. It’s easy to get complacent, especially when you have ten million things on your to do list, but this year I’ve learned that every day is an opportunity to go further. Even if it is only something small and it only makes a difference to you personally, surely it’s worth doing?!
7. You’re stronger than you think. This is a bit of a cliche, but in all honesty, something I’ve really learned this year, is that the worry and anxiety you feel are fuelled by the anticipation of what could happen or go wrong. When you’re actually in the middle of something, you surprise yourself with the coping mechanisms you develop and how you get yourself through certain situations.
8. Brad Pitt is just not a good actor anymore. Gone are the days of Fight Club and Snatch. 2016’s offering of Allied made me realise I no longer enjoy Mr Pitt as an actor. I’m sure he’ll be devo.
9. Don’t pretend to be something you’re not. I’ve really noticed that since starting my blog and getting more into Snapchat (DayDreamerChic) I get much more interaction when I show my real life; the good, the bad and the ugly. The latter generally being me after a long day! I always felt that nobody would be interested in my life, but I think people appreciate honesty much more than trying to showcase this perfect lifestyle. I personally love Snapchat for that very reason, it’s not as staged as other social media platforms, plus I’m super nosey so love to see what others are getting up to haha!
10. It’s highly unlikely I will ever have abs. I love food too much (and by food, I mean bad food!) I still aim to be fit and healthy and will be getting back on track in January, but my quest for abs is now well and truly over. Instead I am striving for a balanced lifestyle. I want to enjoy my food and just be happy. I genuinely admire those who eat clean majority of the time, but I will always be that girl eating too much chocolate and drinking too much wine. And I’m ok with that.
11. Learn to be happy with what you have. This year has really made me realise that while I do have targets and goals that I really want to achieve (I’m not all that patient for anyone who doesn’t know me that well!) I do have a lot of things to be thankful for already. By things, I actually mean people. I’ve always been grateful for those who are part of my life, but in the last few months, I just can’t explain how lucky I feel. I’ve genuinely realised how amazing some of my nearest and dearest are! ❤
12. You have to accept your own issues and learn to deal with them. There is no point wishing you were a different person or had a different life. You have good traits as well as bad and we just need to harness these so that we can live a happy life. This is in no way easy, trust me I know, and it can be a daily struggle. Ultimately though, we just need to persevere and work at it every single day!
I think a lot of the above points come as part of getting older. Without sounding too cheese-tastic, I genuinely think I’m a different person in comparison to the end of 2015. I think we all feel like that though don’t we? My priorities have changed so much, particularly in the last few months and I now feel more determined to achieve my 2017 goals.
I hope 2016 has been good to you all, but here’s to a better 2017 🙂
All My Love
** I’ve also added these Zara shoes to my Depop (here) if you’re looking for a bargain! 🙂